You have the right to view your health information from First Choice VIP Care through websites and mobile apps that are not under First Choice VIP Care's control. The term "app" or "apps" used here means any of these websites or apps.
You can search the internet to find these apps. Once you have found an app that you like, you can look for and choose "First Choice VIP Care" in the app to sign up. If you want to stop from sharing your data with the app, you must do so through the First Choice VIP Care member portal.
Health information shared with an app would include information that First Choice VIP Care has received about you since January 1, 2016. This includes information about:
- Payment requests from health care providers who treated you.
- Your visits with health care providers.
- Your medical tests.
- Clinical data received by First Choice VIP Care while giving case management, care coordination, or other care.
The information First Choice VIP Care would share with an app may include information about any diagnosis or care you got for:
- Substance use disorders.
- Mental health conditions.
- Other sensitive medical conditions.
IMPORTANT: The app or apps that you choose will be able to see and use First Choice VIP Care's health information about you. These apps do not need to protect your health information like First Choice VIP Care does. They do not need to follow HIPAA (the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act) or other health privacy laws.
Things to think about when choosing an app
- Will this app sell or share my data? If so, with what other companies? Why (for ads or research)?
- How will this app use my data? For what purpose?
- Will the app let me limit how it uses, sells, or shares my data?
- If I no longer want this app to use my data, what do I need to do?
- If I want the company that runs the app to delete all of my data, what do I need to do?
- How will this app let me know of changes in its privacy practices?
- Will the app save non-health data from my device, such as my location?
- What does the company that runs the app do to keep my data safe in the app?
- What impact could sharing my data with this app have on others, such as my family?
- Will I be able to change any wrong data in the app? (Fixing data in the app will not fix it in First Choice VIP Care's systems. You would need to contact First Choice VIP Care to make those changes.)
- If I have a problem with the app or want to complain to the app company about it, how do I do that?
Learn more about app privacy and security
The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services' Office for Civil Rights (OCR) enforces HIPAA privacy and security rules. AmeriHealth Caritas VIP Care must follow these rules. Find out more about your rights under HIPAA. Learn more about how to file a complaint with the OCR.
You may also file a complaint with First Choice VIP Care. Call Member Services at 1-888-996-0499 (TTY 711), Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. – 8 p.m., from April 1 to September 30; or seven days a week, 8 a.m. – 8 p.m., from October 1 to March 31.